Going Dutch Never Tasted So Good
Ever heard of a Dutch Baby Pancake? No, it’s not a pancake made for babies from the Netherlands. It’s a large, fluffy, and incredibly delicious pancake that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. While traditional pancakes are great, Dutch Baby Pancakes offer a unique twist that’s sure to impress.
In this blog, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about making the perfect Savory Dutch Baby Pancake, including tips, tricks, and some mouth-watering variations.
What is a Dutch Baby Pancake?
A Dutch Baby Pancake is a German-American dish that’s baked in the oven rather than cooked on a stovetop. It puffs up beautifully and has a custardy interior, making it a cross between a pancake, a crepe, and a popover. While sweet versions are popular, savory Dutch Babies are a game-changer and perfect for those who prefer a less sugary breakfast.
The Basic Savory Dutch Baby Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a blender, combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Place the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and put it in the oven to melt.
- Once the butter is melted, carefully pour the batter into the skillet.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the pancake is puffed and golden.
- Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
Variations You’ll Love
The Mediterranean Twist
Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and feta cheese for a Mediterranean flair.
The Breakfast Classic
Include cooked bacon bits, eggs and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese for a breakfast-inspired Dutch Baby.
The Veggie Delight
Top with sautéed mushrooms, spinach, and goat cheese for a vegetarian option.
Tips for the Perfect Dutch Baby
- Use room temperature ingredients for a fluffier texture.
- Don’t open the oven while baking; it may cause the pancake to deflate.
- Experiment with different cheeses and herbs for unique flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make it ahead of time?
Dutch Babies are best enjoyed fresh, but you can prepare the batter a day in advance.
- Is it gluten-free?
You can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free blend.
- Can I use a regular pan?
A cast-iron skillet is ideal, but you can use an oven-safe pan as well.
Elevate Your Cooking Game with Hardwood Chef
If you’re as passionate about cooking as we are, you’ll love Hardwood Chef’s premium butcher blocks. They’re the perfect addition to any kitchen and make meal prep a breeze.
By clicking the link below, you’re not only investing in a top-tier kitchen essential but also supporting us in providing more unique, ad-free content like this.
Thank you for your continued support!